I’ve got to tell you, I’m ADDICTED!
I cannot get enough of accessories. It’s my one weakness, well, that and the color black… I can never have enough of either of these.
While flipping through the Fall 2017 looks from the Runway, one thing struck me and I was waiting for an opportunity to try it out – The belted coat trend.
From Michael Kors to Nina Ricci the models across fashion labels sported this trend and ladies, I stand by it!
Let me break down the outfit for you with exclusive tips on the belt you should go for based on your body type!
Step 1: Pick the perfect plaid
This outfit is all about balance. I’ve picked a plaid coat. Prada revived this pattern in their 2017 Fall/Winter collection and honestly it has revived my love for it too.
- If you’re a petite girl or a girl with an athletic shape, stay away from larger plaid patterns as it can look overwhelming on you. Go for medium sized ones instead. Buffalo Plaid Cardigan Coat and Michael Stars Plaid Coat are absolute stunners!
- Larger plaid patterns work well for apple shaped and hourglass shaped women. Look for darker muted tones instead of brighter ones. That’s a rule of thumb for plaid in general! 😉 Check out some options for you – Love the color on this one, here’s something similar to what I’m wearing from Mango. This one from Nordstrom is a pure classic!
- Tiny plaids are suitable for pear shaped women – as in my case. You will see the pattern compliments my body type. Some of my favorites are – this hooked coat and here’s another beautiful number.
Step 2: Bring on the color
I cannot emphasise enough the importance of color in a look – while overdoing it is an unforgivable fashion crime, under-doing it is worse!
The coat I’m wearing is grey- the KING of muted tones, I went all out to bring a dash of fun to my outfit with maroon.
These velvet leggings from Anthropologie were my first pick. Velvet is making a comeback and how! Carrying it off needs a touch of elegance and be sure to feel like a queen!
I’ve picked other accessories – Headband, Bag and Scarf in the same color.
You could most definitely experiment.
Step 3: Bring on the Belt
One thing you will want to buy right now is definitely a good lookin’ belt, why you ask? So you can wear it over your outerwear of course – You didn’t see this coming now, did you?
It’s interesting to see how the belted coat trend is being interpreted, but before you dive into this trend, here are a few things to consider.
- If you have a larger body frame – tall and curvy – opt for larger belts. Pick up wide belts that will emphasize your cinched waist! Like the Demi Wide Wrap also absolutely loving this Corset Belt. Another option in black and if you want some color, here you go – Takako Asymmetrical Belt.
- For the petite girls, wear slim belts of the color that is complementing your outfit. It brings curves into sharp focus giving the illusion of a taller figure. Keep a black, brown and white in your closet, always. Chances are they will work with anything and everything.
- Apple and Pear shaped women, get your hands on stretchy and wide belts. Wear it below your bust to accentuate your curves. Intuition Corset Belt, Ruffled Victorian Belt and the Elaine Belt are some stunning options.
- Those of you who have an hourglass figure can wear any kind of belt – so go all out. Give flight to your fancy. Check out the entire Anthropologie’s range of belts, you will love it.
If you’ve been looking over belts until now, STOP.
Honestly, winter-wear makes it look like you’ve put on a few pounds, and belts are the only way to help you brave the cold in slimming style!
So try it out, you can thank me later…